Monday, December 27, 2010
1. The first class ____________ at 8:30 AM.
2. We're ____________ the present tense now.
3. Most of our students _____________ Spanish, but not all of them.
4. I don't see Maria. ______________ on her cell phone?
5. They __________________ breakfast because they're in class now .
6. The students often ___________ coffee between their classes.
7. Maria sometimes ___________ her children to school before coming to class.
8. Our class ____________ an exercise at the Mission Language Lab website.
9. Yan Ching ____________ to write English very well.
10. The second class ____________ at 10:30 AM.
11. _____________ you and Mario in Level Three or Level Four?
12. We often _______________ writing and speaking in our classes.
13. Jose _______ ___________ today because he has a sore throat.
14. Even though ____________ right now, you shouldn't miss your class.
15. Julio and Maria ________________ their books right now. They'll be back in just a few minutes.
16. Excuse me, teacher. ________________! I'm listening to every word you're saying.
17. My whole family _________ to church once a week.
18. Someone ____________ to our conversation right now.
19. My grandfather _____________ tomatoes every summer
20. After the cat _____________, __________ .
Thursday, December 2, 2010
Read the paragraph once. Then read the same paragraph again, but fill the blanks. Check your writing by looking at the original paragraph.
still very good
1. Maria and I _______ still very good friends.
2. We _____________ to college together.
3. We _____________ a lot together when we were kids.
4. ___________ she write to you very often?
5. __________ you and Maria going to see each other soon?
6. We __________ live in the same city now.
7. She often __________ ________ letters about her life in Mexico.
8. What _______ _______ ________ you for your birthday last year?
9. __________ Maria live in San Francisco or Mexico City?
10. We never _____________ each others' birthdays.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
1. The hospital is , between Maple Street and Elm Street.
2. The Bellview Hotel is the bakery.
3. The pet shop the butcher shop and the newsstand.
4. The department store the post office.
5. The flower shop is Grand Avenue and Elm Street.
6. Could you tell me how to get from the park to the museum? Certainly. Walk up Maple Street to Brighton Boulevard and . Brighton Boulevard, and you'll see the museum between the shoe store and the bakery.
7. I'm at the zoo, looking at the animals. Suddenly, I remember something. Quickly, I walk along Brighton Boulevard past Maple Street, to Elm Street, and turn left. I walk up Elm Street, and just before reaching Grand Avenue, I enter the store on my right. Where am I? I'm
8. We're at the flower shop. Can you tell me how to get to the candy shop from here? Sure. Walk along Grand Avenue to , and turn left. Maple Street, and you'll see the candy shop , the restaurant.
9. Excuse me. Is across from the park? Yes, it is.
10. Excuse me. Is the newsstand on Maple Street? No, It's
11. Can you tell me how to get from the bakery to the butcher shop? Sure. Walk along Brighton Boulevard to , and turn right. Maple Street, and the butcher shop, at the corner of Maple Street and Grand Avenue.
12. Is the courthouse next to the laundromat? Yes,
1. The fire station is the TV station.
2. From the park, Maple Street, and you'll see the candy store on the right.
3. There aren't any nearby.
4. The airport isn't .
5. Could you tell me to the laundromat from here?
6. Please tell me what is way to get to the park?
7. The museum isn't next to .
8. The flower shop is on the corner of Elm Street and .
9. The university is across from .
10 The hardware store is the drug store and the Bellview Hotel.
Exercise Three. I am at the park, and I'm asking for directions to different places nearby.
1. Excuse me. Could you please tell me how to get to the airport from here?
2. Excuse me. Could you please tell me how to get to the post office from here?
Exercise Four. Mrs. Davis is at the laundromat, and she's asking for directions to different places nearby.
1. Excuse me. Could you please tell me how to get to the TV station from here?
2. Excuse me. Could you please tell me how to get to the hospital from here?
Thursday, October 28, 2010
1. I need two bread.
2. She needs three bananas, but only one of broccoli.
3. How many apples do you want?
4. There are four quarts in one milk.
5. There are a eggs in one carton.
6. They need two lettuce. They're going to make a salad.
7. This vegetable soup is delicious. I'd like one more your vegetable soup, please.
8. I'm a gardener. I always bring a couple of water when I work outside.
9. There are 32 ounces in a tomato sauce.
10. How much is your ? It's $4.39 a loaf.
11. At La Taza you can get a good coffee for $1.50. I recommend it.
12. I'm going to make a big dinner for my friends. I need three rice.
13. One box of cookies isn't too expensive, but I want two cookies.
14. Mary usually has two of cereal for breakfast.
15. John sometimes has a orange juice with his lunch.
16. Would you like one or two ice cream for your dessert?
17. There are two milk in a half gallon.
18. We're going to barbecue some hamburgers, so we need a couple of ketchup.
19. Two ice cream equal one quart of ice cream.
20. I need about four hamburger meat for the barbecue I'm planning to have.
21. We'd better buy a jam because a peanut butter sandwich without jam is a little too dry.
Saturday, October 2, 2010
In English, the base form of the verb is its simple form.
Examples of base forms are as follows: "play", "cook", "stay",
"work", "make", "be", "do". Notice that there is no change in
this form: no "ing", "s", or "ed". Use the base form after
modals (will, can, must, might, should, would, may). Also,
use the base form in sentences with do, does, and did.
In English, the infinitive is always "to+verb". Examples of
infinitives are as follows: "to play", "to cook", "to stay",
"to work", "to make", "to be", "to do". Use the infinitive after
many first verbs, but not modals. First verbs that are followed by
infinitives are: want, like, be going, have, ought, know how,
plan, forget, remember, need, decide.
In the following sentences, supply a base form or an
infinitive in the blank. You will find the answer in the
drop down menu.
1. I want soccer with my friends. (play)
2. I can't to class tomorrow. (come)
3. Mary needs her doctor tomorrow afternoon. (see)
4. Tom must until 8:00 pm tonight. (work)
5. The students are going about infinitives this week. (learn)
6. You shouldn't too much about the exam. It's for your benefit. (worry)
7. We're going a story about Roberto Clemente next week. (read)
8. Did he finally a place for children to learn about sports? (build)
9. I don't early every morning. (get up)
10. Could you please me how to get to Oakland from here? (tell)
11. The landlord wants you a better apartment in this building. (show)
12. The workers couldn't the piano. It was too heavy. (move)
13. If it rains, the streets will very wet. (be)
14. They decided the house on the corner of 14th and South Van Ness. (buy)
15. Do you want to music or watch TV? (listen)
16. John has class early in order to get to work on time. (leave)
17. The plane will in San Francisco in just a few minutes. (arrive)
18. They might to Canada for their vacation, or they might to Mexico. (go)
19. We'll in Canada for a couple of weeks. Then, we'll to Iceland. (stay, travel)
20. The new library can't a larger collection of books than the old library. (hold)
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Exercise One - There's, There are
1. two bedrooms in this apartment.
2. an elevator.
3. a bus stop nearby?
4. any small grocery stores.
5. any buses after 1:00 am.
6. a garage in the building?
7. a bathtub in the bathroom?
8. No, a bathtub, but a shower.
9. a view?
10. Yes, .
a very nice view of downtown San Francisco.
11. four rooms in the apartment.
12. a fireplace in the living room?
13. How many sinks in the kitchen?
14. tiles in the bathroom.
15. any windows in the small bedroom?
16. How many electrical outlets in the kitchen?
17. a dishwasher in the kitchen? No, .
18. a very nice dining room in the apartment.
19. any windows in the dining room?
20. How many counters in the kitchen?
21. a washing machine in the basement? Yes,
Exercise Two - it, its, it's, are, is, there, they're, their, them, my
1. The cat likes to lick fur. The dogs don't like food.
2. almost noon. I want to eat lunch.
3. These shirts nice. I'd like to try on.
4. from China. native language is Chinese.
5. a good car. engine is top quality.
6. are several restaurants on this street. very good.
7. very cloudy today. I think going to rain.
8. This job difficult, but very interesting.
9. These vegetables delicious. How did you prepare ?
10. Those carpenters excellent, and not too expensive.
11. This pie delicious and too sweet.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Use: "isn't", "aren't", "doesn't", "don't"
1. James a very good singer.
2. He sing very well.
3. His voice coach think he uses his voice correctly.
4. Mary cook every night. Her husband sometimes cooks.
5. Marvin like to go fishing because the lakes have very many fish.
6. Steve and Tom very good painters.
7. They paint very well, but they're good carpenters.
8. Alan enjoy working overtime, but he needs the cash.
9. Money grow on trees.
10. He usually home on weekends and he have a cell phone.
11. Sally is happy. She have to work on weekends.
12. She a good skier, so she like to go skiing. However, she skates very well.
13. Harold like to skate even through he's a good skater.
14. They need their tools today. They working until Monday.
15. These photographs clear because I have a very good camera.
16. Steve work on Wednesdays, but Thursday his day off anymore.
17. The students have to pay for the class, but they need books, and the books cheap.
18. My sister like to go bowling because she a very good bowler. She'd rather watch.
19. Evan like to write articles. He a very good writer. But he wants to learn.
20. Does Silvia like to act in plays? No, she . She a very good actor.
21. These TV shows very good. The actors remember their lines.
22. Our shower working and I know any good plumbers.
23. My son know how to fill out the form and there anyone who can help him.
24. It raining now. It usually rain in August.
25. Those chairs belong here. Please, take them to Room 405. That room have enough chairs.
26. Ronald have to finish his work today. There enough trucks for the products.
27. Several employees have their pay checks. Joanne still have hers.
28. I tried to call the employer. He in his office. His secretaries there either.
29. Those four houses have garages, and there any parking spots on the street.
30. Why Arnold like to play tennis? Because he a very good tennis player.
31. Those books sell very well because Wally a very good book salesman.
32. Ana walk to work because her new shoes very comfortable.
33. It difficult to learn a language, but it takes a lot of practice.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
A: Is Mary going to sing a popular song for us tonight?
B: No, she isn't. She sang a popular song for us last night.
Fill the blanks in the following similar conversations:
1a. Are you going soccer this week?
1b. No, I'm not. I soccer last week.
2a. Are you going the Present Tense today?
2b. No, I'm not. I it yesterday.
3a. Is Patty going ice cream tonight?
3b. No, she isn't. She ice cream last night.
4a. Is David going English this Saturday?
4b. No, he isn't. He English last Saturday.
5a. Is Mary going a letter to her friends today?
5b. No, she isn't. She a letter to her friends yesterday.
6a. Is Steve going fishing this Sunday?
6b. No, he isn't. He fishing last Sunday.
7a. Are you going TV together tonight?
7b. No, we aren't. We TV together last night.
8a. Is Susan going her grandparents this afternoon?
8b. No, . She her grandparents yesterday afternoon.
9a. Are you going spaghetti this week?
9b. No, . I spaghetti last week.
10a. going downtown this weekend?
10b. No, I'm not. I downtown last weekend.
11a. Is your father going scrambled eggs this morning?
11b. No, . He scrambled eggs yesterday morning.
12a. Is Mrs. Johnson going flowers this spring?
12b. No, she isn't. She flowers .
13a. Is Charlie going his room this week?
13b. No, he isn't. He his room last week.
14a. Are you and your family going Disneyland this year?
14b. No, . We Disneyland last year.
15a. Are Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins going a new car this fall?
15b. No, . They a new car last fall.
Thursday, August 19, 2010
Fill the blanks with the subject and the correct form of the verb in the parenthesis. Use the Present Progressive for actions in the present or near future. Use the Simple Present for routine actions or true facts.
1. in San Francisco in a few minutes.
2. usually their laundry on the weekend. (They/do)
3. coffee every morning before work. (I/drink)
4. her coffee right now. She'll be here soon. (She/drink)
5. Roger isn't available. to a customer. Can he call you back later? (He/talk)
6. sometimes class because he has to work. (Steve/miss)
7. the news on TV every evening at 7:00 pm. (Maria/watch)
8. In San Francisco, a lot in January and February. (it/rain)
often town over the weekend. (we/leave)
9. an interesting story in class today. (we/read)
10. always at 8:30 am. (Our class/start)
11. Frank has a bad cold. medicine for it. (He/take)
12. in downtown San Francisco three days a week. (Sally/work)
13. I'm busy. at the health club all afternoon. (I/swim)
14. a movie tomorrow morning. Would you like to see it? (The teacher/show)
15. never dessert because she's trying to watch her weight. (She/have)
16. important visitors to our office this afternoon. (We/meet)
17. many letters to customers daily. (She/send)
18. I'm busy. a report about the distribution of our product. (I/write)
20. me a lot. I appreciate it because I'm a new employee. (They/help)
21. sometimes that they can't understand our pronunciation on the phone. (Customers/complain)
22. Right now, this website to improve our pronunciation. (we/use)
23. The performance now. (begin) Ann to sing a very popular song. (get ready)
24. Listen to that applause! because Ann sang very beautifully. (The people/clap)
25. The audience is leaving now, but still about Ann's performance. (they/talk)
26. her plants every other morning. (Susan/water)
27. at everyone because he hopes they'll vote for him. (He/smile)
28. after a mouse, but I don't think she'll catch it.(Our cat/run)
29. The doctor works from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm. patients all day. (She/see)
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
by Pontormo 1516-1517
1. The movie at 7:00. You missed the first half hour. (begin)
2. Jack several holes in his yard. He want to plant trees. (dig)
3. Wilma several letters to her friends this morning. (write)
4. We the dogs and cats before we left on our trip. (feed)
5. Tom the toy we gave him last Christmas. (break)
6. He shouldn't have another glass of wine because he already three glasses. (drink)
7. They the green carpet because it goes better with their walls. (choose)
8. We in a very slow bus. That's why we're late.
9. I our company's new director. She's very intelligent. (meet)
10. The ground violently during the earthquake. (shake)
11. James his old blue shirt to work. That was a mistake. (wear)
12. It was a terrible accident and I about it for a long time. (think)
13. The walls were very strong. They the force of the storm very well and didn't fall down. (withstand)
14. Mary in love with Steve at the lake last summer. (fall)
15. Roger his pants while we were running through the woods. (tear)
16. We our dog how to sit and shake hands with people. (teach)
17. The forty-niners a few games last season. (win)
18. After the wind storm, I the sidewalk in front of our house. (sweep)
19. The teacher will be glad because I my notebook to class today. (bring)
20. When I about my friend's accident, I was very upset. (hear)
21. The ducks towards us very fast because we put bread in the lake. (swim)
22. She that she enjoyed the flowers Steve gave her yesterday. (say)
23. It was a windy day so we a kite.(fly)
24. He his car to the park. (drive)
25. She under the sofa so her mom couldn't find her.
26. Our teacher us about dinosaurs in class today.
27. The cup fell off the table and (break)
28. He very angry when the other kids teased him.
29. I asked him to sit down, but he just by the door. (stand)
30. She the baseball and got a home run. (hit)
31. He hurt his hand when he down. (fall)
32. He away his toys and cleaned his room. (put)
33. It us a long time to memorize the irregular verbs. (take)
34. My father up at four o'clock and couldn't go back to sleep. (wake)
Thursday, June 3, 2010
"The Acrobats" by Francis Picabia, 1927
Fill the blanks. Use "was, were, wasn't, or weren't".
These words are the past tense of "be".
1a. you in school yesterday?
1b. No, I in school because I had a doctor's appointment.
2a. the lesson difficult? I hope the teacher has an extra copy.
2b. The lesson too difficult. We had to write sentences using the past tense of "be".
3a. How your vacation? Did you have a good time?
3b. It too bad. It rained a lot, but we still had a good time.
4a. there a lot of people at the beach last weekend?
4b. No, there . I thought there would be more.
5a. How the movies you saw last weekend?
5b. They very good. I fell asleep.
6a. I thought that the acrobats fantastic at the circus yesterday.
6b. I agree with you. But the popcorn terrible!
Saturday, May 15, 2010
Fill the blanks with the correct form of the verb and check your answer by clicking on the little box to the right of the blank.
1. He's his dinner right now. He'll call you as soon as he finishes. (eat)
2. Amalie is in the first row. It's too close to the screen. (sit)
3. When is the new restaurant ? (open)
4. I give up! The fish aren't today. (bite)
5. The school is still new students. (admit)
6. Are you English or Mathematics? (study)
7. The room attendants are the floors right now. (mop)
8. Wait a minute! Aren't you something? (forget)
9. Mary can't talk to you right now. She's the flowers outside. (water)
10. Are you these sentences in your notebook? (write)
11. Your children will be ready in a minute. They're on their clothes now. (put)
12. Hurry and take your seats. The show is . (begin)
13. I guess Mary is for dinner. (stay) She's off her coat. (take)
14. We're our jeans because we're going to an informal party. (wear)
15. Why is Jack ? (smile) He's a raise. (get)
16. Are you keeping something secret from me? You're to your brother. (whisper)
17. The students are to a story from Voice of America. (listen)
18. She sang beautifully. That's why the audience is so loudly. (clap)
19. We're the windows because it's starting to rain. (shut)
20. I'm for the bank now. I used to be a salesman. (work)
21. Steve can't talk to you right now. He's the sink. (fix)
22. Our plane is in Chicago for about an hour. (stop)
23. Are you on American Airlines or United? (fly)
24. We're in New York at 7:35 AM. (arrive)
Mr. Bean is sleeping. Describe his actions as he wakes up and gets ready to visit the dentist.
Friday, May 14, 2010
"Girl on Sofa" by Marc Chagall, 1907
Use the words to make sentences in Present Progressive Tense. Use contractions if possible. Use capital at the beginning of the sentence and a period at the end.
1. I/go/to work
2. he/listen/to the radio.
3. Maria/write/a composition
4. the students/play/soccer.
5. we/drink/coffee now
6. the plumber/fix/the sink
8. you/step/on my feet
9. he/hike/in the forest
10. the children/play/at the playground
12. we/drive/to Oakland
13. she/live/in San Francisco
14. Julia/answer/the question
15. the students/listen/to the explanation
16. the workers/arrive/at the office now
17. they/fill out/the application form
18. the bus/come
19. the train/stop
20. the store/sell/the books
21. I/write/an exercise.
23. the teachers/have/a meeting
24. it/wear out/too quickly
25. we/speak/English very well
26. the teenagers/swim/in the lake
27. it/start/to rain very hard
28. our team/win/the game